Romka's Bits and Bites

complains, jokes, and recipes

Put Out an Eye of One Who Recalls the Past

"Put out an eye of one who recalls the past" - says a Russian proverb. If to take a risk and to recall the past, I can speak about many opportunities to realize myself that I missed in my life. I could have been a good researcher in bio-chemistry if I continued with it. I could have been a good classical music composer if I didn't quit a music school. I could have been an actor or a scenic arts director if I continued in theater. I could have been a lawyer owning now an office in Riga if I listened to some advices. I could have been a good husband and a good father if I were more clever about my personal life. I could have been a good software engineer or consultant if I didn't start a ph.d. in temporal databases. I guess with such temps I will end up as nobody in some waste bin. However, it might have been my destiny from the beginning which I should accept and all these opportunities are just for teasing me.

On 12/1/08 Blogger guoda said:

Romans Romans...
Several points, can't keep my mouth shut:
1) You seem to be quite sure you could have been all those things. What makes you think so? What makes you think in general that it is better somewhere else than here (in the position you are now) and now (.getTime())??
Don't be naive, it can hurt you very much.
2) I can explain my philosophy of self justify.
Life is a tree with lots of branches, but differently from usual trees, there is no trunk as soon as the branches start. So all branches are equal.
At any moment of your life you can be made to choose. Going same way or new way is also a choice and not an easy one. Some choices are very hard. However, you must take them at the moment they appear. And I believe I always take a choice which looks best to me.
So the factors are: YOU (at that moment, not now) and the CHOICES. No one ever chooses sth that is worse to him than other things.
So your problem looks like as if you criticize the choices you have made, which is wrong. I am defending this younger you that he made the best choice with available wisdom and background, you have NO RIGHTS TO CRITICIZE HIM!!!!!!!!

 
On 12/1/08 Blogger guoda said:

Forgot aboot the tree. So the branches never go together. They are just different lives. And sometimes I am very afraid to choose, because there is no way back. (invent someone ctrl-z for life please!!!). So if you get the thoughts like the ones in the post, you must write down, why do you make this or that choice. Because it looks like you don't remember indeed! Of course it is difficult to understand any younger people, but at least you would have an explanation.

 
On 14/1/08 Blogger Diana Zh said:

come on! Don't regret about what way you are going now. I understand... if someone is complaining that he has quit with the University or school, was a terrible person, drinking lonely person and now is NOBODY. But you are an opposite case. Just by coming here in Bolzano, you have made lot of friends, tried a lot of things (in sports), traveled a lot. You are researcher with an opinion and you are so young to do more and more and more... Also everything you mentioned in your post.

 
On 15/1/08 Blogger romka said:

A nice thing about life is, you never know how it goes.

 
On 17/1/08 Anonymous Anonymous said:

man... you're still young! having quite some possibilities still open (especially the one about being husband and father... you men are lucky anyway, basically bigger timeframe if you understand what i mean ;) and as far as i know you're still far away from being 70....

 
On 18/1/08 Blogger romka said:

The full version of the proverb says, "Put an eye out of one who recalls the past, put both eyes out of one who forgets it." It is not worth to recall the past, because we cannot change it. It is prodigally to forget it, because this way you don't learn from it. For me a good father means a high responsibility. I had enough of responsibilities, I don't want more.

 

Add a Comment Add a Comment