Romka's Bits and Bites

complains, jokes, and recipes

Blogger Calendar

Dear reader,

For more convenient navigating through my blog I created a calendar on the right side of the page just under a "Posts By Date" heading. If you don't see it or if you get an error loading the page, please let me know it in comments (be sure to say the name and the version of your browser).

For blogger users: this calendar is my blogger archive hack that uses JavaScript and blogger daily archives. If you want to have it on your own blog you have to follow these steps:

  1. Change "Archive Frequency" to "Daily" in your blog's settings (tab "Archiving")
  2. Change "Archive Index Date Format" to something like "December 22, 2005" on "Formatting" tab
  3. Insert the following lines into the template of your blog inside <head> tag:

<script language="JavaScript" src="http://romakas.balticom.lv/css/calendar.js"> </script>
<link href="http://romakas.balticom.lv/css/calendar.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>

  1. Insert the following code inside <div id="sidebar"> tag:

<h2 class="sidebar-title">Posts By Date</h2>
<MainPage>
<div id="div-archive-calendar" style="width:200px;height:180px;"></div>
<script language="JavaScript">
<BloggerArchives>
vArcDates.push('<$BlogArchiveName$>');
vArcLinks.push('<$BlogArchiveURL$>');
</BloggerArchives>
drawCalendar();
</script>
</MainPage>
<ArchivePage>
<script language="JavaScript">
drawURLBack("<$BlogURL$>");
</script>
</ArchivePage>

There are several limitations of this hack due to specifics of blogger archive entries. That was the reason I have restricted blogger calendar to show only on the main page.

You can copy files calendar.js and calendar.css, just leave my name there in comments and a link to my blog.

P.S. The calendar works with old blogger templates, but I still didn't check new blogger templates.

P.P.S. If you want to change the size of the calendar, modify line <div id="div-archive-calendar" style="width:200px;height:180px;"></div>

If it doesn't work or you found any error, let me know. Regards, Romkas

On 27/7/05 Anonymous Anonymous said:

Hi, Romka
I am Internet Explorer user and I don't see anything on the right side under Post By Date.
Could you please be so kind and check the situation?!
Best regards and best greetings from Riga!
Dace

 
On 27/7/05 Blogger romka said:

Thanks a lot, Dace!

A bug with kHTML browser is fixed. Internet Explorer will be the next!

 
On 28/7/05 Blogger romka said:

Looks like it works for Internet Explorer 6.0. Please tell me the version of your browser as well!

 
On 12/8/05 Blogger melanieann said:

This is really cool!

 
On 15/8/05 Blogger romka said:

Thank you, mela! I already have two TODOs:
1) use some other brosing through months, because the current jumps the page,
2) make the past months to remain after you click.

 
On 15/8/05 Blogger QiSoftware said:

I developed a Java Servlet application that I also call the "Blogger Calendar". The Blogger version can be demoed here --> http://blog.qisoftware.com or here --> http://qisoftware-support.blogspot.com.

The WordPress version which is also a Java Servlet with a JDBC interface. It can be demoed here --> http://qisoftware.com/qblog/...

Great interface... I will add it to my list of blogging addons -- here --> http://forums.qisoftware.com/viewtopic.php?t=38

Q...

 
On 18/8/05 Blogger romka said:

Hi, Q...! Thank you for adding my calendar to your super list. I see there many of good things I can use too! Regards, R.

 
On 11/9/05 Anonymous Anonymous said:

Yes, but at the end of September, after I finish one article.

 
On 11/11/05 Anonymous Anonymous said:

your calendar is awesome. could you please give me the info on the code? I would like to put it on my blog. Thanks!

 
On 15/11/05 Blogger Sharon Bernice Chua said:

i using mozilla firefox, can you teach me how to do it?

 
On 12/12/05 Blogger Photo said:

Hello !

I love the simplicity of your calendar, and I truly wish to implement a calendar at the top of my "links" list, allowing viewers to chose specific workshop days, not previous posts. Is this possible, and how? Thanks a million to help!

 
On 12/12/05 Blogger AnagaM said:

Hey this is very cool, can I get one for me?

 
On 1/1/06 Anonymous Anonymous said:

Thamk you for your calendar, It'll be really useful for my blog.

:-)

 
On 4/3/06 Blogger Unknown said:

Thank you for your calendar, It look kool... But it dont match my blog... coz my i have a black background... do u think u can do somethin about it? Thanks alot n have a Great Day ahead...

 
On 27/4/06 Blogger romka said:

Hi guys! I'd be really proud if some of you starts to use the calendar and I'm very happy to receive the comments.. About the styles: if you know about CSS, you can just replace my stylesheet file to your own, or just define calendar styles exactly in your blogger template (look into http://romakas.balticom.lv/css/calendar.css for the names of the styles). If you're not familiar with CSS: I will try to make my default style more universal, so it fits different backgrounds.

 
On 19/6/06 Blogger Tokyo Knitter said:

Thank you! I'm a very beginner knit blogger, but thanks to you I was able to put on a calendar on my blog. Thanks so much!!!

 
On 9/7/06 Blogger Priya said:

Thank you so much, its really cool:)

 
On 27/9/06 Blogger Niner said:

Hi Romka,

I really thank you for your effort on providing such a excellent Blogger Calendar. I am new to Blogger, and have been confused of Calendar stuff for few days. I really like your works. I am wondering if it is OK to let me copy the Javascript and CSS codes and paste them directly on my webpage template, instead of link to your site. I hope this is fine with you. Again, I really appreciate your Blogger Calendar.

 
On 10/2/07 Anonymous Anonymous said:

Thanks for this. Have made a few changes to the style sheet and it matches my blog perfectly.

Just one thing though, is there any way to make the table stretch to 100% of the side bar (on mine this is 200px wide) as currently when I move from month to month the calendar changes width?

Thanks :)

 
On 7/4/07 Blogger Mark said:

Really like the look of this. How can I get it into the new 'Page Elements' version of the Blogger Template?

 
On 19/4/07 Blogger romka said:

To Mark Brad: well, I am new to to new Blogger, so I guess I have to create a new blog and to play a bit with it, so I don't spoil the old one :)

To Marcus: about changing width - yes, it is a little issue, I will try to find out something! ;)

 
On 21/4/07 Anonymous Anonymous said:

Romka,

I received this error:

Your template could not be parsed as it is not well-formed. Please make sure all XML elements are closed properly.
XML error message: The content of elements must consist of well-formed character data or markup.

Pls help me what to do..thanks.

Syazni

 
On 3/6/07 Blogger "omamee" said:

hi romka,

thks for sharing the codes to adding the calendar. when i added the quotes, the calendar expands in width on days with posts i.e. out of alignment... with a bullet on it...

could you kindly advise how i can rectify this? many thanks.

 
On 24/10/07 Blogger | A | d | i | N | k | said:

Wow.. great script!!

Thanks a lot.

I just wondering could you please update the script so we can use the calendar with "Archive Frequency Setting" set to "Monthly".

 
On 3/4/08 Blogger Caro&Pipe said:

Hi Romka, for some reason I dont manage to put your calendar, might be doing something wrong as Im a real begginer! I get the following message:
Your template could not be parsed as it is not well-formed. Please make sure all XML elements are closed properly.
XML error message: The content of elements must consist of well-formed character data or markup.
Could you please tell me what im doing wrong? thanks, caroypipetrip

 
On 4/5/08 Anonymous Anonymous said:

Hi Romka

Sometimes, some of my posts are not reflected on the calendar. Today's entry for instance. Today's date was not highlighted on the calendar and so are some of my other previous posts.

Can you please tell me what did I do wrong?

Thanks!

Chic

 
On 24/5/08 Anonymous Anonymous said:

Hei I got the calendar up and running but it does not highlight the days which I did postings. Hope you can help me out!

Thanks
A. Mike

 
On 2/6/08 Anonymous Anonymous said:

Hi your calendar seems to work for a particular month only. However now that it is June, the entries are not highlighted. Please help! I really like this calendar! Email me your response @ grace.pans@gmail.com Thanks!

 
On 4/6/08 Blogger romka said:

To maernee: let me see your blog, was not enough info to understand the problem

To AdinNk: this calendar uses the dates from archive entry list, if you set it to months it won't work

To Caro&Pipe: I changed something, so try again. Also, I'm using old blogger templates, with new it might not work.

To chic: I don't know, if you show me an instance I might help

To A.Mike: most probably your archive dates are not in the right format, e.g. June 4, 2008

To Magg: Can I see your blog? That might help ...

 
On 29/8/08 Anonymous Anonymous said:

heys i'd like to ask why my calander doesn't show the months and the mo,tu,we,thu things?

 
On 14/11/09 Anonymous Anonymous said:

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 
On 3/12/09 Blogger Mikamika♥ said:

YOU ROCK DUDE! thanks so much! it'll be nice if there were PINK, lol. but ITS GREAT!!!

 
On 6/1/10 Anonymous Anonymous said:

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

 
On 7/1/10 Anonymous Anonymous said:

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?

 
On 7/1/13 Anonymous Nguyen Hai said:

Hi, Q...! Thank you for adding my calendar to your super list. I see there many of good things I can use too!

 

Add a Comment Add a Comment