Romka's Bits and Bites

complains, jokes, and recipes

Definition of Freedom

There are two main definitions of freedom can be found. One defines freedom as an ability to act and think without any restriction. Another adds that this acting and thinking should not limit the freedom of any other person.

From the modelling point of view, the first freedom is very simple. Some persons can be free until their acting and thinking are not in the conflict. This makes everyone free only when they are synchronized in their intentions which is a little chance from the probability theory point of view.

The second definition enforces you to respect the boundaries of your freedom and it gives 100% probability for everyone to be free. It is again a synchronization, but this time it reduces the entropy of the system i.e. the amount of chaos, which is necessary for the evolutional development through natural selection.

Being more chaotic, I prefer the first definition. So if you ask me if I am free, the answer is unfortunately "NO".

Labels:

On 10/9/07 Anonymous Anonymous said:

As a whole, human actions are predictable, whatever choice you make. This topic has been researched over the last two or three years. If everything you do appears to have been expected, are you free ? Most people are insulted as they think they make free choices, this is what defines their freedom and if it is predictable, what is it then? Moreover, if your choice is predictable, while, let's say you stick to the second definition, where is the entropy then? Well, nobody has ever claimed that chaos is chaotic itself.
Another point regarding the first definition is that if I am able to change my intention, don't I get free? Stubborn people are slaves of their themselves then.

 
On 12/9/07 Blogger romka said:

This is very interesting point. I haven't thought about freedom in such a prospective. If the question is if we are fully predictable then information theory might help. Just need to estimate a maximum number of different decisions in one's life and estimate if they could be fully programmed in one's brain. I don't know the result :)
Your second remark is rather abstract, I could say that stubborn people rule this world.
If I suppress all my intentions I will be free too. Kind of a Zen-Buddhist way.

 

Add a Comment Add a Comment