Romka's Bits and Bites

complains, jokes, and recipes

Growing Ego

I've noticed that I'm becoming very selfish. I'm doing only the things I like or the things that are good for me. Even if I'm helping somebody it is just because sometimes I like to be helpful or useful.

Is it good or bad? May be everybody do so? May be it is the best way to go? What Christian or Zen moral says about this?

Labels:

On 1/8/08 Blogger Žāūčō said:

And now you stole my upcoming entry. I wonder what prerequisites and conditions lead to this state. But on the other hand you find yourself having wasted time while being totally unreasonably unselfish.

 
On 5/8/08 Blogger guoda said:

Let it be. Maybe after you have been selfish long enough you will find power not to be. Or maybe your understanding needs to be tuned, it could be that you don't have to be unselfish at all.
Otherwise you have to get enough of something and a little bit more, only then you can give something (let it be anything like love, attention, help, material items etc.)- I have seen this law working in practice.
Moreover I think it is better to be naturally selfish than unnaturally (strategically) and pretentiously helpful/unselfish.

 
On 12/8/08 Anonymous Anonymous said:

The biggest selfishness is to be always serious, deep and unappreciated.

Yea, you are very selfish.

 
On 13/8/08 Blogger romka said:

I wonder who defines the biggest selfishness like that. Anyway, I am a devoted dreamer, so I cannot be serious. You don't know me though.

 
On 14/8/08 Blogger guoda said:

There is always a problem when the picture of yourself does not match the picture other people have of you.
But it is very possible for dreamers indeed!
But is it possible that a person, who thinks he is a dreamer, is not a dreamer? I would say not possible: even if he is only dreaming that he is a dreamer, he is a dreamer because he is dreaming. How exciting!
But this of course does not justify being (or looking) selfish. I think whenever one is selfish, we should sell him/her a fish, so they would soon stop being that way.

 
On 15/8/08 Anonymous Anonymous said:

What do you give to your friends? Sulky, sad and unsatisfied face. So you are very selfish.

 
On 15/8/08 Blogger vienuolika said:

actually i think selfishness has many faces. also posting without telling who you are is a bit like that. i understand if you do not want to tell everybody who you are, as your feedback is rather crude so you might not want to be criticised for it.
however, i do hope you have the courage to talk with romans face to face, maybe also offering something constructive instead of mere cutting down.
also, about criticising: there are two ways which i experienced often; of those only one is that of a real friend.
a friend will criticise gently and showing the other that they really care and therfore only correct them for their better.
the 'not friend' often proceeds harshly and without love, which usually only gives pain and humiliation to the one criticised, without showing them the improvement. additionally this behaviour causes even more resistence and thicker walls around him.
so criticise with appreciation. otherwise it's use- and pointless.

 
On 17/8/08 Blogger romka said:

To anonymous: I have no respect for the modern society and I have no interest to obey their behavioral norms. So I'm wearing the face I'm comfortable with. Concerning the friends - I have rarely refused in helping or supporting them. Again, because I like to be helpful. Yes, I'm very selfish. Is it good or bad?

 
On 19/8/08 Blogger romka said:

To vero, o no?: Thank you for trying to defend me. However, I would disagree with you a bit. I think the critics should not be censored or softened. It is important to know what people really think, otherwise it looses a lot. And if one is unable to react properly to it, it is his own problem. I'm open to any kinds of critics, so if you guys have something to say, don't hesitate, anonymously or personally!

 
On 20/8/08 Blogger capivara said:

My sweetest Romans, why should you invite somebody to be tough with you ? Shouldn’t you be willing to have around you people who loves you, or who simply do not hurt you? Are you punishing yourself for something?
Wish you a lot of love, kindness, softness and laziness
And I wish the same to the angry anonimous.
love love love love

 
On 21/8/08 Blogger Žāūčō said:

Yeah, spread love!

 

Add a Comment Add a Comment